I spent nearly a decade working with The Journal News/lohud.com, which is part of the USA Today Network, between my time as a freelancer, part-time reporter, full-time reporter and columnist.
The majority of my responsibilities involved covering high school sports in the Lower Hudson Valley — Rockland, Westchester, and Putnam counties, which included approximately 80 schools in our coverage area.
My primary beats were girls soccer, boys and volleyball, girls basketball and bowling, and softball. I was the lead writer for all coverage of the Rockland Boulders, a professional independent baseball team in the Can-Am League, from 2013-15.
I also assisted on our New York Yankees and Westchester Knicks coverage.
Some of my accolades with The Journal News/lohud include:
- Two-time recipient of the Golden Media Award
- Won this annual award from the Basketball Coaches Association of New York in 2016 and 2019 for an “outstanding job in covering scholastic and/or collegiate basketball.”
- Grant Burger Media Award
- Named the top volleyball reporter in the country for online journalism in June 2016 by the American Volleyball Coaches Association and a finalist for the Grant Burger Media Award, which recognizes members of the media who have been involved in the advancement of the sport of volleyball through consistent coverage in all mediums.
- First place, Associated Press Sports Editors Contest
- Took first place in circulation category (30,000-75,000) in April 2015 for investigative journalism with a series of stories involving a transcript-fixing scandal within Westchester Community College’s men’s basketball program.
- First place, New York State Associated Press Association
- Won “Best Sports Story” in June 2018 for an investigative enterprise project on the shortage of high school referees in the Lower Hudson Valley and the New York State Public High School Athletic Association.
Click the links below to see some examples of my work with The Journal News/lohud.com in each category: